As a circuit court judge in Oregon’s Fifth Judicial District, I handle a wide range of cases that impact families and community safety in Clackamas County. My experience as an attorney, elected official, and community volunteer helping struggling families assists me in this work.
Since earning my law degree in 1995, I have worked with clients to resolve disputes in local, state, and federal courts and other forums. I have practiced law with the Metropolitan Public Defender, Legal Aid Services of Oregon, private firms, and the Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund. I have clerked for federal judges on the U.S. Court of Appeals and the U.S. District Court.
As a state representative and county commissioner, I worked to create safe, strong communities by supporting laws and investments that:
- Help people access drug treatment and mental health care if they need it
- Prevent sexual assault and help survivors seek justice
- Help people fleeing domestic violence and elder abuse get the help they need by creating A Safe Place Family Justice Center
- Make sure low-income children can visit a doctor when they need to
- Help workers earn a living by ensuring they are paid based on merit not on unfair characteristics and by helping them receive advance notice of their schedules
- Prevent eviction and create more affordable housing so families can avoid homelessness
- Increase funding for Oregon’s K-12 schools and for dropout prevention programs
- Prevent “lunch shaming” at schools by ensuring that students who lack lunch money receive a non-stigmatizing meal
- Protect youth who are in custody by restricting the use of shackles and solitary confinement
- Safeguard vulnerable lands by limiting development in areas with scarce groundwater
I have also worked to strengthen our community by serving on advisory boards for Clackamas Women’s Services, Northwest Housing Alternatives, CASA of Clackamas County, Network for Oregon Affordable Housing, Ecotrust, the Lawyer’s Campaign for Equal Justice, and other organizations.
I would be honored to earn your vote so I can continue serving Clackamas County as a Circuit Court Judge.